Can we talk about social etiquette for one hot second? I’m a pretty sensitive soul, and for the longest time I would really get upset when people told me I was being too sensitive. It was a bothersome trait to me, but now I’ve learned to embrace that sensitivity in a positive light. Meaning my sensitivity allows me to very empathetic to the plights and feelings of others…I care A LOT, about a lot of things and people and causes. Injustice hurts my heart very deeply. It’s not all a bad thing, you see. It also makes me really good at picking up on social cues, and having…well in a word, MANNERS. Manners people. Is this just something that has completely flown out the window these days, or what??
Now, again, I realize yes, I’m 34 weeks pregnant and an emotional sh#$% storm some days so my sensitivity level may be SLIGHTLY elevated some days, but can we talk about how when a woman is pregnant that people feel like they can say pretty much anything and it’s ok? Things like, “oh my god you’re so BIG!! Are you sure there aren’t two in there? There’s no way you’re only 7 months pregnant!” ET CETERA ET CETERA AND THE LIKE. To me, the most appropriate thing to say to a hugely pregnant woman, who is probably fully aware of just how large she is, is something along the lines of, “YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL. I”M SO HAPPY FOR YOU.” And that’s all. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. Consider this your PSA folks.
Ok, now that I’ve had my pregnancy rant for the day, let’s get to the goods! I’m seriously hyperventilating about how DELICIOUS these amazing cookies are. I have to admit, I’m not normally one to have fruit in my desserts. I’m generally against anything but chocolate…and chocolate…and Sunbutter…in my desserts. It’s just a thing I have. BUT, when I got to try the Dried Strawberries from Steve’s Paleo Goods the other day, my first though was…I have to put these in a cookie, and cover it with chocolate. I have to. So I did. I have to say, my husband LOVES my Ooey Gooey Brownies and my Old-Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies, but he hands down said these were the best cookies I’ve ever made. So much so, that I may be going back and tweaking my original cookie recipe. These are perfect in every way. The only big thing I want to point out when making these is that you want to use Dried Strawberries that are soft and chewy, NOT freeze-dried ones that are more like chips. So don’t say I didn’t warn you on that part! Make these, and I dare you to say they aren’t your favorite thing to eat in all the world…TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU ACTUALLY. Let me know what you think!
1/2 cup grass-fed butter, slightly softened
1 cup coconut sugar
1 egg and 1 egg yolk
2 tsps vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cup almond flour
6 oz. dried strawberries, diced into small pieces (reserve a small amount for topping each cookie)
1 cup Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips (reserve a small amount for extra topping on cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a standing mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and creamy.
- Add in egg and egg yolk and vanilla to standing mixer and mix on medium speed until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl thoroughly mix flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together.
- Slowly add flour mixture to standing mixture on medium speed until dough is well formed.
- Remove bowl from standing mixer and slowly fold in strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough 10-20 minutes or until it firms up.
- On a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet, add golf ball sized balls of dough, evenly spaced. This dough should make approximately 20 cookies.
- Lightly press extra strawberry and chocolate chip pieces onto the top of each ball of dough.
- Bake for 12 minute or until desired consistency is reached.
- Cool on wire rack, and serve!